I try to make a habit out of not yelling during my shoots, but I must confess: When this mama opened up this closet to find something for our session, I screamed. Have you ever seen so many gorgeous wraps in one collection ?! PLANS SCRAPPED. We’re shooting in here.
All the gorgeous colors & patterns made for a fun & unique set & you can really see the connection between this gorgeous mama & kiddo; that special closeness is one of my personal favorite things about babywearing. Below are more of the incredible benefits of this ancient parenting lifesaver, courtesy of Babywearing International !
- Happy Babies It’s true … carried babies cry less! In a study published in the journal Pediatrics, researchers found that babywearing for three hours a day reduced infant crying by 43 percent overall and 54 percent during evening hours. (1)
- Healthy Babies Premature babies and babies with special needs often enter the world with fragile nervous systems. When a baby rides in a sling attached to his mother, he is in tune with the rhythm of her breathing, the sound of her heartbeat, and the movements his mother makes—walking, bending, and reaching. This stimulation helps him to regulate his own physical responses. Research has even shown that premature babies who are touched and held gain weight faster and are healthier than babies who are not. (2)
- Confident Parents A large part of feeling confident as a parent is the ability to read our babies’ cues successfully. Holding our babies close in a sling allows us to become finely attuned to their movements, gestures, and facial expressions. Every time a baby is able to let us know that she is hungry, bored, or wet without having to cry, her trust in us is increased, her learning is enhanced, and our own confidence is reinforced. This cycle of positive interaction deepens the mutual attachment between parent and child, and is especially beneficial for mothers who are at risk for or suffering from postpartum depression. (3) (4)
- Loving Caregivers Baby carriers are a great bonding tool for fathers, grandparents, adoptive parents, babysitters, and other caregivers. Imagine a new father going for a walk with his baby in a sling. The baby isbecoming used to his voice, heartbeat, movements, and facial expressions, and the two are forging a strong attachment of their own. Baby carriers are beneficial for every adult in a baby’s life. Cuddling up close in the sling is a wonderful way to get to know the baby in your life, and for the baby to get to know you!
- Comfort & Convenience With the help of a good carrier, you can take care of older children or do chores without frequent interruptions from an anxious or distressed infant—which helps to reduce sibling rivalry. Baby carriers are also wonderful to use with older babies and toddlers; you can save those arms and go where strollers can’t. Climbing stairs, hiking, and navigating crowded airports all can be done with ease when you use a well-designed baby carrier!
1 – Hunziker UA, Garr RG. (1986) Increased carrying reduces infant crying: A random-ized controlled trial. Pediatrics 77:641-648
2 – “Current knowledge about skin-to-skin (kangaroo) care for pre-term infants”. J Perinatol. 1991 Sep;11(3):216-26.
3 – Pelaez-Nogueras M, Field TM, Hossain Z, Pickens J. (1996). Depressed mothers’ touching increases infants’ positive affect and attention in still-face interactions. Child Development, 67, 1780-92.
4 – Tessier R, M Cristo, S Velez, M Giron, JG Ruiz-Palaez, Y Charpak and N Charpak. (1998) Kangaroo mother care and the bonding hypothesis. Pediatrics 102:e17.
If you’re wondering where you can get started on your babywearing journey, here are my absolute favorite places to shop for wraps & carriers:
There are so many amazing brands & options available; my personal favorites are Lenny Lamb, Smitten & Kokadi. Whichever brand you choose, make sure you check all available resources regarding safety & proper technique to ensure a secure & comfortable ride for all. Babywearing International is a good place to start & youtube has tons of babywearing tutorials & wrap techniques to help you get started. I recommend Wrapping Rachel !
Happy Babywearing 🙂
Photographed on location in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
Crunchy Glamour serves, Sanford, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Fayetteville, Raleigh & all surrounding areas ! Yes, I travel !